Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy Birthday, America!


Idea from Mrs. Yollis
Facts from Mrs. Yollis and Wikipedia


America's birthday is on July 4th which is Independence Day in America! 

On July 4th, 1776, the Declaration of Independence was adopted by the Continental Congress in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This document was declared America's independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain.



Photo from Mrs. Yollis


Independence Day is commonly celebrated with fireworks, parades, barbecues, carnivals, fairs, picnics, concerts, baseball games, family reunions, political speeches, and ceremonies.


Most of the times, I celebrate July 4th with a nice barbecue with some of my relatives and the fireworks from a school with my neighbors. This year, I did not have another barbecue, but I did watch fireworks from the nearby high school. Instead of having a barbecue, this year, I celebrated by going to a splash party and got a sparkly dog tattoo. It was all very fun and exciting! There were stands that you could win prizes and I got three of them. I also went to the Ronald Regan Library. There were a plethora of games and prizes, just like the pool party! We had to walk a long way up a hill, but it was totally worth it.

I did not get any photo of the fireworks because I could not get a quick shot of the fireworks. Nether did my mom because the fireworks were appearing and disappearing every time we tried to get a shot. 

Here are some ways to respect the flag:


  • Do not wear a flag, wear the colors
  • Never step on a flag or leave it on the floor
  • Pledge to the flag every day with your right hand over your heart. Here are the words:

"I pledge of  allegiance to the Flag of the United states of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

  • The flag should never be hung upside down unless there is a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or propriety.  
  • Do not use a flag as a target.


*     *     *     *     *     *     *

What did you do on July 4th?

*     *     *     *     *     *     *

1 comment:

  1. what I do is go to Austin and watch the fire works

    ReplyDelete